Two organizations, Hootsuite –an ubiquitously used social media management platform, along with We are Social –globally socially led creative agency, have released a report on social media and digital trends in the world, named Digital in 2018.
The seventh annual report from the two did the survey in 239 countries and territories. The primary observation of the report is that the world now has more than 4 billion Internet users i.e. more than half of the population of the world is online now. Out of 4 billion users, social media has enabled around 3.2 billion active users on the internet to communicate with each other, intake media, and have interaction with brands and more.
The major findings in 2018 are:
- We have registered an increase of 7 percent in the last 12 months. That led the internet users to hit 4.021 billion, or 53 percent of the world’s population.
- There is an increase of 13 percent in the users of social media, observed over the period of last 12 months. This led to 3.196 billion active users.
- The number of mobile internet users has increased by 14 percent over the last year. The number is now 2.985 billion users. Another interesting fact is that 93 percent of social media users access social from a mobile phone.
- If we combine the time internet users are projected to spend on the internet in 2018, then it sums up to 1 billion years online and 325 million years of that spent on using social media platforms.
- Internet usage on mobile devices is popular in Asia pacific. Forty one percent of the population access social media on handheld devices. Since 2017, social media users have seen a growth of 14 percent. Overall, internet users in Asia pacific surpassed the 2 billion mark that is a growth of 5 percent in the last year alone.
Other findings of the report shows that the spur in internet users has helped in incubating ecommerce businesses as over 1.7 billion internet users are indulged in shopping things online in 2017. That accounts for an increase of 8 percent in comparison to the preceding year.
Together, all the internet users spent a whopping USD 1.474 trillion on ecommerce platforms only in the last one year. It is 16 percent more than what was spent in 2016.
All the businesses, professionals and freelancers should dive deep into the Digital to get the competitive advantage. The report can help you recognize the places where customers are to best market, sell and serve.
As 4 billion users have come on the internet, connectivity is the new lifestyle. The internet companies will try their best to serve the new users and this will catalyze further advancements in technology. Text will be taken over by Audio-Visual content. Voice commands and cameras will make the keyboard obsolete. All the social communities will adapt to these new changes. The ultimate result will be better experiences for all of us, and businesses should prepare themselves for the changes.