The top strategic trends in 2018 will be artificial intelligence, immersive experiences, digital twins, event-thinking, and continuous adaptive security. These trends will lay the foundation for the next generation of business models. Irrespective of the nature of industry –technology has become a quintessential part of everything in the digital business for the future.
Let’s look at some key trends including:
- The number of devices connected to Wi-Fi is eight times the devices connected to cellular data network. Therefore, Wi-Fi will become an amenity rather than an add-on in the future. This drives the need for ubiquitous coverage and increasing the number of connected devices.
- There has also been a move towards free public Wi-Fi model where Ruckus anticipates larger cities to bring out smart cities. Improve efficiencies and widen the connectivity.
- The new 802.11ac Wave 2 standard opens the door to gigabit Wi-Fi. The advantages are: multiple transmissions of data streams for multiple connected devices simultaneously, improved performance, faster data transfer, more bandwidth and flexibility, and better interoperability options.
- There will be an increase in people using internet. The Internet of Things (IoT) market is growing exponentially. We are about to see new roll outs in IoT deployments.
- Better ability to use virtual reality modeling over Wi-Fi in localized environments. The only problem was network, previously but now these problems are being conquered by trying to bring omnipresent availability of internet with amazing experience.
- Everybody is thinking about 5G but we are at least 2 to 5 years behind its complete realization, no matter what companies say. For now, there is no clear path to market and standardization.
- The infrastructure development across the globe is likely to increase the effective internet connectivity.
- There are few things that prevent developing nations to roll out and that are usually the implication of budget by the governments.
We have seen the trends but many developing nations yet don’t have Fiber optics and rely completely only on old school technology, the introduction of fiber optics to these countries will serve for them as a boon. South Africa is a perfect example of such nation. But hurdles are inefficient infrastructure, inefficient services and the other basic problems like water management –which one to prioritize?
The development of Smart City initiatives will catalyze the implementation of practical Internet of things devices and obviously improve the state of internet in these nations. Wi-Fi is the most reliable technology to back this development.
It appears as if Wi-Fi is the perfect solution to dodge all the internet related problems that are being faced globally. The demand for Wi-Fi is insatiable plus this is till now the best way to provide data services wirelessly. With these features and trends, the future of Wi-Fi industry continues to look bright and it has become a utility to invest in for sure.